Want a Steady Supply of One of Nature’s Best Foods? Learn How to Raise Chickens in Your Backyard!
Many folks feel intimidated by the idea of raising chickens. Especially an egg-laying flock.
Well, what if you were to discover that not only do you only need a little space, but you can also care for and manage a small flock of layer hens with confidence!
Wouldn’t that feel amazing?! It sure would!!
In this class, you’ll learn how to care for a batch of chicks, raise them to adulthood and then manage the production of one of Nature’s most perfect foods — eggs!
Create More Food Security and Integrate Your Flock into Your Homestead
Raising your own egg-laying chickens gives you the peace of mind that comes from creating your own food supply.
You know your family will eat healthy and tasty eggs at breakfast, regardless of rising food costs.
Not only that, in this class, you’ll discover how to integrate your flock into your homestead so they actually help with some of the real-world work — tilling cover crops or opening up new garden ground, for example!
You’ll know how to care for chicks that have just hatched in a brooder, even if you’ve never raised chickens before.
By the end of the class, you’ll learn how to responsibly care for and manage a robust flock of layer hens that provide a year-long supply of eggs AND are valued partners in your homestead!
Let’s get started!
Your Traditional Skills Lesson Plan.
Enjoy a Year-Long Supply of Eggs with a Small Layer Flock!
- Lesson 1: You Can Raise Backyard Chickens
- Lesson 2: Meet Harvey
- Lesson 3: Get Your Supplies
- Lesson 4: Planning your Flock and Getting Stock
- Lesson 5: Setting up the Brooder
- Lesson 6: Managing Chicks in a Brooder
- Lesson 7: Permanent Housing
- Lesson 8: Housing in a Mobile Shelter
- Lesson 9: The Improved Chicken Run
- Lesson 10: Manure Management
- Lesson 11: Feeding and Watering
- Lesson 12: Maximizing Natural Feeds
- Lesson 13: Cultivating Earthworms for Poultry Feed
- Lesson 14: Protecting the Flock from Predators
- Lesson 15: The Family’s Egg Supply
- Lesson 16: Your Next Steps
- BONUS: FAQ Video Section…your answers to top questions
Your Skill Instructor: Harvey Ussery
Hi! I’m Harvey Ussery and I’ve been a proud homesteader since 1984. I live in northern Virginia with my wife Ellen on our modern homestead — Boxwood.
Our family moved from a Washington DC suburb to three good acres in the northern Virginia countryside. I was deeply influenced by the work of Wendell Berry, poet and prophet, and his critique of modern agriculture and its damaging effects on our culture and on natural systems.
During our first year as homesteaders, my daughter asked to start a flock of chickens. And that started a never-ending learning adventure.
Soon I was known as “The Chicken Man” and folks started coming to see how we raise chickens and ask questions about keeping a flock of their own.
Later I set up a website — The Modern Homestead and published articles in Backyard Poultry, Mother Earth News, and Grit!
And in 2011, I published The Smart-Scale Poultry Flock.
Continue Building Your Traditional Skills … Confidently!
Traditionally Cured Pork
Nutritious Bone Broths
Raised Bed Gardens
Garden Season Extension
Your School of Traditional Skills Membership Includes
Unlimited access to in-depth video classes by expert instructors!
Faster skill-building and application with printable class-specific Skill Sheets!
Learn anywhere with our easy-to-use portal and app! (App coming early 2023!)
Give School of Traditional Skills
a Spin for 30 Days
Your enrollment in School of Traditional Skills is protected by our “See It to Believe It” Guarantee.
You have a FULL 30 days to decide if School of Traditional Skills is the perfect place for you to master homesteading and self-sufficiency skills from the best experts.
If on Day 30, you decide it isn’t what we promised … email us and we’ll return your money. No questions asked.
Not only that, even after 30 days you can easily cancel your subscription at any time and not be billed in the future. You can view our complete terms and conditions here.
Start with School of Traditional Skills for Less than $0.80/day
Stay up to date with your favorite instructors and work on your skills month by month!
- Monthly access to all training and resources available on the School of Traditional Skills
- Get access to newly released classes as long as you remain a member
- The freedom and flexibility to plan your projects, month by month
The most affordable way to get premium access to every new course on traditional skills.
- Save money — you save nearly 20% compared to the monthly plan
- New classes added regularly!
- 24/7 online access to all current classes and new releases as long as you remain a member
- Build a plan, work at your own pace, season by season
Get grandfathered into lifetime access to the best training in self-sufficiency you’ll find.
- Every year we’ll be adding more courses, instructors, materials, and resources
- You’ll have access to everything we ever release, forever
- This is a value that will only grow over time.
- Sign up today, stay up to date for life!
Here’s what happens once you click the button above!
You’ll go to a secure checkout page. Your data is always protected and safe.
You’ll get an email from us with your login information and details on how to use your membership.
Sharpen Those Skills!
Login in from your home computer, laptop or phone. You’re all set to master traditional skills from the comfort of your home.