Imagine walking out to your food forest to pick breakfast…
You stroll by your chickens, who are happily clucking, scratching at the grain you just threw them. (It’s stored securely in a bin that you pass every single time you approach your garden.) At a glance, you can tell that their water needs filling. Because you planned right, you recently installed a hydrant right next to the coop. No more carrying heavy jugs to them. Phew!
Chickens done, you put your basket – the one you store by your back door, along with a sheathed knife – next to some Swiss chard. You cut several leaves, toss a few to the chickens, and tuck the rest into your basket.
The chives look amazing this morning, so you cut some to go with the eggs. The garden is looking nice and moist! You recently mulched it well with wood chips, and the timer attached to the rain barrel pump has just started watering the herbs.
You squint at the sun. Today will be a scorcher, but months ago, you identified a cooler microclimate on your property and deliberately planted your summer garden there. You added the food forest for shade, and to keep everything moist.
Next up: the strawberry patch. It is bursting with ripe, juicy strawberries! Since you’re here every morning, weeding only takes a few minutes! Over against the fence, the raspberries are starting to redden up. And in the orchard just beyond, the cherries are almost there!
As you walk past your chickens again, you toss them the weeds. You slide your hand into the nest boxes to gather 14 eggs. It’s so much more efficient this way, now that you’ve relocated the coop here. The birds gobble the greens hungrily and make compost out of yesterday’s scraps. Yay!
Now that these few simple morning chores are done, you head back inside to make omelets with the cheddar you made a few months ago.
And that’s just breakfast…
Don’t make homesteading work.
Make homesteading work for you, with proper Planning and Design…
Overwhelmed by homesteading? Afraid it will take over your life – or your wallet?
A great homestead design can not only cut down on stress and make chores easier… it could conceivably save you thousands, tens of thousands, or even hundreds of thousands of dollars (by helping you avoid costly, huge mistakes)!
Think of a Homestead Design as a plan… a blueprint… and an ingenious layout that maximizes abundance and minimizes stress!
In this step-by-step Homestead Planning and Design class, you’ll:
- Dream BIG – do you want to grow 40% of your food? 50%? 80%?
- Set doable, progressive goals based on your dreams and capacity
- Use permaculture techniques to work with – not against – your property’s natural setting
- Learn about your property’s history, climate, soil, water, and the plants that will thrive there
- Design your homestead
- DRAW it to scale
- Establish Zones that make chores fly by!
- And put it all together into a physical design and workable plan!
Once you hold your plan in your hand, you’ll wonder how you ever made do without a great homestead layout and design!
Your Traditional Skills Lesson Plan
Learn Homestead Planning and Design to Create the Perfect Layout for YOUR Property!
- Lesson 1: You Can Create an Amazing Homestead Design for YOUR Property!
- Lesson 2: Meet Nicholas
- Lesson 3: Get Your Supplies
- Lesson 4: Setting Goals
- Lesson 5: Creating a Wishlist
- Lesson 6 Auditing People, Skillsets, and Resources
- Lesson 7: Taking a Landscape Inventory
- Lesson 8: Reviewing the Results
- Lesson 9: Designing Your Homestead
- Lesson 10: Finding and Drawing the Property Boundary
- Lesson 11: Understanding Sectors and Influencing Factors
- Lesson 12: Drawing to Scale
- Lesson 13: Including Hardscapes
- Lesson 14: Establishing Zones and Stacking Functions
- Lesson 15: Adding Common Elements
- Lesson 16: Putting it all Together, Part 1
- Lesson 17: Putting it all Together, Part 2
BONUS: FAQ Video Section… answers to top questions on permaculture, working with existing structures, how this works in an urban setting… and more!!
In just 17 lessons, you’ll shave off YEARS of stress, mistakes, and heartache.
Long ago, our ancestors learned how to create abundance in a way that flowed and made sense. In a way that worked with nature. And in a way that honored the history and gifts of the specific piece of land itself.
A properly designed homestead is your birthright. Claim it.
Your Skill Instructor: Nicholas Burtner of the School of Permaculture
Nicholas is the lead educator for the School of Permaculture, where he runs the education programs and directs operations at both the farm and suburban demonstration sites for the school.
Since 2012, Nicholas and his team have worked on a large and varied number of permaculture projects from farms and ranches, to suburban homesteads and public parks, to apartment complexes and college campuses.
He received his permaculture education and training, in person, from the co-originator of permaculture Bill Mollison in Melbourne, Australia. He also interned with world-renowned permaculturist Geoff Lawton at Zaytuna Farm in Australia. And he attended the Earthship Academy for natural and recycled building construction under the tutelage of Michael Reynolds in Taos, New Mexico.
Nicholas is a devout follower of Jesus Christ and a devoted father. He believes that through the application of permaculture, people can find a more meaningful and purposeful existence.
Continue Building Your Traditional Skills … Confidently!
Traditionally Cured Pork
Nutritious Bone Broths
Raised Bed Gardens
Garden Season Extension
Your School of Traditional Skills Membership Includes
Unlimited access to in-depth video classes by expert instructors!
Faster skill-building and application with printable class-specific Skill Sheets!
Learn anywhere with our easy-to-use portal and app! (App coming early 2023!)
Give School of Traditional Skills
a Spin for 30 Days
Your enrollment in School of Traditional Skills is protected by our “See It to Believe It” Guarantee.
You have a FULL 30 days to decide if School of Traditional Skills is the perfect place for you to master homesteading and self-sufficiency skills from the best experts.
If on Day 30, you decide it isn’t what we promised … email us and we’ll return your money. No questions asked.
Not only that, even after 30 days you can easily cancel your subscription at any time and not be billed in the future. You can view our complete terms and conditions here.
Start with School of Traditional Skills for Less than $0.80/day
The most affordable way to get premium access to every new course on traditional skills.
- Save money — you save nearly 20% compared to the monthly plan
- New classes added regularly!
- 24/7 online access to all current classes and new releases as long as you remain a member
- Build a plan, work at your own pace, season by season
Stay up to date with your favorite instructors and work on your skills month by month!
- Monthly access to all training and resources available on the School of Traditional Skills
- Get access to newly released classes as long as you remain a member
- The freedom and flexibility to plan your projects, month by month
Get grandfathered into lifetime access to the best training in self-sufficiency you’ll find.
- Every year we’ll be adding more courses, instructors, materials, and resources
- You’ll have access to everything we ever release, forever
- This is a value that will only grow over time.
- Sign up today, stay up to date for life!
Here’s what happens once you click the button above!
You’ll go to a secure checkout page. Your data is always protected and safe.
You’ll get an email from us with your login information and details on how to use your membership.
Sharpen Those Skills!
Login in from your home computer, laptop or phone. You’re all set to master traditional skills from the comfort of your home.